If you are planning to renovate your house or change some parts of your sweet home, then you can face a lot of challenges before you execute your plans. With the changing trends and advancing technologies, everyone wants their home should go well with the current fashion wind.
Simultaneously, there are a lot of things to be kept in mind while you have a roof replacement. It is undoubtedly one of the most tedious and complicated jobs and gets more difficult as it proceeds. Many problems can occur if your roofing is not done properly. There can be a water leakage, and it can ruin your interior or the electronic gadgets attached to the wall if the roofing is not perfect. Read on to get a better picture about the same.
What are the must need roofing materials?
The materials used can vary based on your choice of roofing or the locality and the climate of the place that you live in. But if you wish to get a tiled roof or a Chinese style one, few things will be required as basics. So before calling in your residential roofing contractor, you should take a look at some of the common roofing that the people go for.
- Asphalt shingles: This is the most affordable and the easiest type of roofing. Despite the unattractive and simple look of this type of roofing, it is still the most commonly used material.
- Metal Roofing: This roofing uses aluminium and steel as its material and has gained a lot of popularity in the past years. Along with being highly durable, metal roofing is also fireproof.
- Wood shingles: When you are talking about a roof replacement, it is impossible not to consider these costly yet awfully attractive shingles. They have extensive durability but are not preferred or used in the areas where there is a possibility of fire.
- Slate roofing: This extremely expensive and first class roofing is one of the top options if you wish to make your home look like a 21st-century line-up. But they are very hard to walk on because of its slippery nature and are quite troublesome to repair once damaged.
- Ceramic or clay tile: This red Spanish style roofing is still very much in use and is very much popular. Though the bricks and tiles have now been constantly replaced by other durable materials like various metals to solve the problems like fire.
- Composition slate: As the name suggests, this material is made up of recycling various other materials including, rubber as well. They give the look of a slate but is very lightweight and undergoes lesser damage.
The second layer and tear off
When you have a roof replacement, you may think of putting your new layer over the old one. Previously it was allowed, and you could easily have a new layer of tiles or shingles over the older one, at least once if not again and again. But now, it is not allowed under many jurisdictions, so you have to first tear off the older layer before laying the new one. There are various pros and cons which are needed to be evaluated before your residential roofing contractor tells you further about the roofing.
- The weight of your roof increases considerably and makes it a problem for older houses since there can be a possibility of collapsing due to the weight. More than two layerings can make it as heavy as a slate layer which indeed is a very heavy material.
- Well, you can say that the work involved becomes less and yes that is an important part because not only does it take more time but also involves some extra costs, which can be avoided by the second layering.
- One more problem with second layering is that you can't fix the existing irregularities in the roof. When you are putting a new layer, then you can get rid of various bumps or bubbles which could be a default of the first layering or can be a setback of the new one. But when you are putting the new layer over the older one, then there are many defaults regarding the roof replacement with the previous ones which cannot be made right by adding a new layer on top of it.
How to get a good roofing contractor
- It's always recommended to go for more than one residential roofing contractor as if you are hiring someone for a new job. Well, if you see it, then indeed it is an important job that cannot be handed over blindly.
- You then need to check whether your contractor has the license to work in the area you are living in or if he has enough credibility.
- You need to ask various details about the contractor that you have contacted like his business address, tax ID number, business email ID or website, contact details, etc. to save yourself from any fraud or later risk.
- You have to ask the proof of the insurance and also the liability coverage along with the worker's compensation. It's not necessary that your area may have a requirement of the insurance proof, but you never know what may come up next. So you need to check it to save yourself from any lawsuits in the future.
- When we talk about the credibility of your contractor, you can ask the contact details of the other clients and call them up to ask them if the roof replacement was satisfactory or not.
- Many of the contractors have special training, which helps them with improved performance. You will also have to ask your residential roofing contractor whether he has been approved by the manufacturer of roofing and whether he has the certifications and the license for the proper installation.
This is how you can contact an appropriate contractor and can get proper roofing done in your house and can get the desired results and make your house match those modern households.